Even just a cheap life insurance is a must-have for Filipinos working overseas. It is important that they have a health insurance, disability insurance, and life insurance through OWWA, with more or less P1300 for two-years or P650 yearly. From the current exchange rate of $25 as a membership fee, you will have the following; life insurance and compensation insurance, as well as health benefits. Other benefits are also available full details here, but this post will focus on the workers' insurance and health benefits.
Overseas Workers member is provided with the following health benefits and insurance within the duration of their contract (per contract basis, with maximum of 2 years contract)
1) Disability and Dismemberment Benefits
(PHYSICAL INJURY INSURANCE)
An OWWA beneficiary receiving benefit. Image is taken from OWWA FB page
This is an accident insurance or workers compensation insurance. A member is entitled to disability/dismemberment benefit of up to P100, 000.00 for injuries sustained due to an accident while working abroad. Qualified are active OWWA members
To claim the insurance benefits, please prepare the following requirements;
1) Foreign medical certificate
2) Medical certificate issued by the local attending physician with medical examination procedure. (e.g X-ray, MRI, CT Scan)
3) Accident Report/Master’s Report for sea-based OFW.
2.) HEALTH INSURANCE BENEFIT
The OWWA MEDplus for OFWs serves as a health insurance, but provides a supplemental medical relief for active OWWA OFW-members afflicted with dreaded diseases and were hospitalized, either at the job sites or while in the Philippines.
OFW-member must be an active OWWA and Philhealth member at the time of confinement/treatment. Confinements both local and overseas are covered effective 01 February 2017. Philhealth must have paid the case rate benefits prior to Availment of the MEDplus by the OWWA member not to exceed P50,000 per OFW-member.
Hereunder are the requirements of the program:
1. OWWA Receipt/OFW Verification Sheet
2. Member’s Data Record (MDR) issued by Philhealth
3. Passport size ID picture
4. Passport Copy
5. PhilHealth Benefit Payment Notice with case rate or Claim Status receipt indicating amount claimed at Philhealth or screenshot of Benefits Information through Philhealth Portal.
6. Duly accomplished OWWA MEDplus application Form
3) Death Benefit
The family of an active OFW at the time of his death is entitled to receive P100, 000.00 if the cause of death is natural, and P200, 000.00 if the cause of death is an accident. This is both life insurance. On top of the death benefit, a rider of P20, 000.00 will be received by the beneficiaries for the funeral expenses. Qualified are beneficiaries or family members of active OWWA member who died. Just make sure that the OFW is an active member of the time of passing.
To claim the benefits of this low-cost life insurance, beneficiaries must prepare the following requirements;
1. Original Death Certificate issued by the local civil registrar or authenticated by National Census and Statistics Office (NCSO)
2. Foreign Death Certificate for OFWs who died abroad including Airway Bill and Consular Mortuary Certificate or No Objection Certificate
3. Accident Report for death due to accident
4. Burial permit
5. Official receipt of funeral expenses
6. Two (2) valid IDs and one (1) pc. ID picture of claimant
7. Certificate of no marriage (CENOMAR) of OFW from NCSO (if OFW is single)
8. Any of the applicable documents certified by local civil registrar (LCR) or NCSO
9. Marriage certificate- if claimant is the spouse
10. Birth certificate of OFW- if claimant is father or mother
11. Birth certificate of child and death certificate of deceased spouse – if claimant is the child
12. Affidavit of undertaking executed by claimant (Police report if death is due to accident)
In the absence of Birth/Marriage Certificate, the following must be submitted:
1. Certificate from Local Civil Registrar that fact of birth/marriage is not recorded in the civil registry
2. Baptismal/marriage certificate certified by the Parish Priest/Office
3. Affidavit of 2 disinterested persons regarding fact of birth/marriage and claimant’s relationship to the deceased, with photocopy of their 2 valid IDs
The causes of death for both OFW Pagadora and OFW Baliling were due to illnesses categorized as natural causes, thus, the beneficiaries were given P120, 000 each. On the other hand, OFW Bete died due to a car accident, thus, her beneficiary was granted P220,000.
SEARCH JBSOLIS, TYPE KEYWORDS and TITLE OF ARTICLE at the box below